What to do in the summertime in Atlanta?
I have kids and I hear, a lot, there’s nothing to do. Are you kidding? What’s going on in Atlanta?
- May 1: Lewis Black is in town for a great comedic turn.
- May 2: Some guy named Bill Cosby brings his “Far from finished” tour to Atlanta on May 2nd
- May 8-10: Rock and Americana festival at Central Park, headlining with The Strokes, Wilco and The Avett Brothers
- Zac Brown Band will be at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater on May 8th and 9th
- Sweet Auburn Springfest takes place May 8-10
- May 10 – call your mom! (Mother’s day)
- May 12: Ed Kowalcyzk is unplugged at the Variety Playhouse
- R Kelly, Eryka Badu, 8ball perform at the Atlanta Funkfest. Rumors of 2LiveCrew reunion also!
- May 16: Shaky Boots come to Kennesaw
- May 18: Monday Night Brewing serving up brews at the Beltline Jamboree
- May 22 (Memorial Day Weekend): Atlanta Jazz Festival – nothing more needs to be said. Go!
- May 28 through 31: The Atlanta Food and Wine Festival brings the South’s best chefs and a large gathering of foodies.
- Go to the West Side for the Georgia Craft Beer Festival on May 30th from 1-6pm
- Candler Park Musical Festival runs from May 30-31 with a host of great venues
In addition to the scheduled events, you should check out the following as well:
- The King Center – ’nuff said on that, go check it out.
- Sweetwater brewery – go visit. Too cool!
- Renaissance Festival – A full day’s fun
- Atlanta Dog Parks – take poochy for a fun day
- Aquarium – if you haven’t yet gone, you should
- Coca-Cola Museum – again, if you haven’t gone, you should
- Fernbank Science Museum – too much fun stuff to list.
- Hard Labor Creed State Park – no, not a prison but rather a very nice place to hang out, have a picnic, rent a canoe, etc.
- Stone Mountain – lazer show, hiking, running, fishing, swimming, beautiful views, etc.
- Centennial Olympic Park – worth the visit to enjoy beautiful downtown Atlanta and let the kids play in the water fountains
- Oakland Cemetery – sounds scary (and it can be at night) but worth a visit to get a taste of how historic this great city really is!
Barring all of the above, there is always the ability to enjoy the spectacular weather Atlanta offers during the summertime. Invite your friends (or get an invitation from them) and get in the pool. Nothing beats the heat like a nice luxurious dip in the pool and subsequent lounge around the deck with your favorite book, movie on your outdoor home theater system, music or conversation.
So..yeah…nothing to do. Get the hell out of the house and explore your city!